My second guest would be Judy Garland - again someone whom I have loved since I was a child. I have read lots of biogs on her and one thing that is abundantly clear is that she was a fabulous story teller and one of the funniest people to spend time with.

ssed!!
Okay, I have thought long and hard about my next choices - and I just can't choose between them so ... I am increasing the guest list and inviting the six Mitford Sisters! Those of you who know me well will know how much these women fascinate me! Nancy, Diana, Pam, Unity, Decca and Debo were the daughters of Lord and Lady Redesdale. Eeek, how to condense my love of The Mitford Sisters in one paragraph??? Although I had heard of them before and, of course, had read Nancy's "Love in a Cold Climate" and "The Pursuit of Love" many times, I didn't really know much about them until I read Mary S Lovell's biog about 4 years ago. It was one of the few books that I have literally finished reading and within a few days started it again - and certainly the only biography! They were related to Winston Churchill and between them counted Hitler, The Late Queen Mum, Evelyn Waugh and Maya Angelou as friends! I am going to steal a quote from journalist Diane Shipley here as it just says it all .... "the Mitford sisters were kind of proto-Forrest Gumps, always on the edge of history and sometimes actively involved." They were avid letter writers and last year I was pleased as Punch when a book of their letters to each other over eight decades was published. Nancy wrote "Love in a Cold Climate" and "The Pursuit of Love" both very loosely based on their early family life. Pam was the most normal of the sisters - "The Rural Mitford" or to her sisters "Woman". Diana, regarded as one of the most beautiful women ever, was the wife of Fascist Leader Oswald Mosley. Unity is famous for her adulation of and friendship with Adolf Hitler. Jessica, or Decca as she was always known, was a member of the Communist Party. Deborah or Debo married the Duke of Devonshire and lived in and restored the grand Chatsworth House and is the only sister still alive. Wow!

Eeek, I know I need more men - but here is another woman, Clarissa Dickson Wright - one of the infamous "Two Fat Ladies" cooking team. I always liked her but just read her truly amazing autobiography and if it hadn't been a library book I might well have reread it again! She has had the most incredible life and is such a widely acclaimed after dinner speaker - she has to come!!!


And last, but not least, I would choose Cole Porter the amazing songwriter and composer. Apart from penning such greats as "Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love", "De-lovely", "Anything Goes", "True Love" and "I Get a Kick Out of You", he was very much a party lover and I think he would fill the missing chair perfectly - and he could share piano duties with Dudley!! :-)
So that's it. I could go on and on and add Larry Olivier, Bette Davis, Mandy Patinkin, Judi Dench, Geoffrey Palmer Winona Ryder, Rober Downey Junior, Bernadette Peters ........
I'm off to arrange the catering and order the wines and champagne! There is room for a few more so let me know if you want to come :-)

4 comments:
I definately don't want to miss that party - count me in!!! Hugs B
When the invites were sent out, did they say 'and guest'? because if so I shall be delighted to attend with my husband johnny ;) lol
What a great list hunny xxx
That sounds like a great party! For my own list.... I'll have to give it some thought, the only thing I can say for sure is when Michael Palin leaves your place he can just head straight over to mine ;-)
Ooh, I'd love to come too...what a fascinating evening it would be! Loved this post!
Love, Tina :)
Post a Comment