.jpg)
Just one more - a piece about Wallis Simpson. I admit that I never liked her until a few years ago when I read a more flattering biog about her - written by Diana Mosley. I think I totally believe now that Edward/David never wanted to be king and that he knew that by marrying the twice divorced Wallis he would have to abdicate. I do think that they were treated shabbily by The Royals - especially The Queen Mother, who had a thing for Edward herself. This is a short piece concerning The English National Heritage refusing to put a blue plaque outside Wallis' old London home stating that it was once her abode. In my opinion - of course they should, she was a huge part of British 20th century history. It is rather cringe worthy to hear the interviewer ask people on the street who Wallis was!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/04/2008_26_thu.shtml
Alas football season starts tomorrow - so T will be screaming/swearing at the tv like a possessed banshee so I will take cover in the bedroom and share some photos of my petting zoo stroll.
xx

3 comments:
I so agree...way too many books....lol.
I guess you will have some more time to read though, now that the football season is starting up....
darling Hon, have you ever seen the TV series "Edward and Mrs Simpson"? Stars Edward Fox as the Prince and Cynthia Harris as Wallis (Decca:"her Christian name CAN'T be Wallis! It must be the papers making it up!") Must admit I still can't bring myself to like Wallis, though I do think she was unfairly accused of bringing about Edward's fall. Did you know that she didn't really want to marry him(who would?!) - according to Donald Spoto? She was actually having an affair with someone else at the time, but what with Edward abdicating and whatnot she felt under obligation to go along with the whole thing?
He-Evelyn once said that Edward "lost his throne by his beret much more than by his adultery"! And (apropos of nothing) Noel Coward once said that the Duke Windsor was "such a dull man and even danced a boring Charleston - no mean feat"...
I love radio 4 and often have it on as I putter and work. It's great company!
Post a Comment