KT had a day off work so we went to Sidney for the day.
Located just 25 kilometres north of Victoria, close to the Victoria International Airport and the BC Ferry terminal, the little town of Sidney-by-the-Sea offers the charm of a small community, in rural surroundings.The main street boasts broad, friendly sidewalks, great shopping, and a wide variety of stores, coffee shops and restaurants, all within easy stroll of each other. And don't miss the Summer Market every Thursday evening June-September. Plus Sidney is Canada's only BookTown, with nine wonderful stores featuring modern, used, collector's, and antiquarian books a browser's paradise.There's a seafront walk offering panoramic views across the strait to the mainland mountains. The modern harbour is popular with boaters up and down the coast, and is always colourful and busy. Stroll out to the fish market, or along the fishing pier.

As you can see it was a gorgeous sunny day and Mount Baker was looking really wonderful.

I was very self restrained in the bookshops but I really had fun browsing. I found a lovely copy of "Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford but I have got a lovely Folio Edition at home of Both LIACC and "The Pursuit of Love" so I let it go ..... for now. We spent an hour in one shop looking through boxes of old postcards and reading the correspondence - oooh, to know the stories behind some of those. I found a few "old friends" in the children's book department - a few really old Sunday School books - A Peep Behind the Scenes and Christie's Old Organ - both being from around the turn of the century and both also being real tearjerkers!! I love old books - I have quite a few from the early 1900's that were church/school prizes to various relations and I cherish them.
Located just 25 kilometres north of Victoria, close to the Victoria International Airport and the BC Ferry terminal, the little town of Sidney-by-the-Sea offers the charm of a small community, in rural surroundings.The main street boasts broad, friendly sidewalks, great shopping, and a wide variety of stores, coffee shops and restaurants, all within easy stroll of each other. And don't miss the Summer Market every Thursday evening June-September. Plus Sidney is Canada's only BookTown, with nine wonderful stores featuring modern, used, collector's, and antiquarian books a browser's paradise.There's a seafront walk offering panoramic views across the strait to the mainland mountains. The modern harbour is popular with boaters up and down the coast, and is always colourful and busy. Stroll out to the fish market, or along the fishing pier.

As you can see it was a gorgeous sunny day and Mount Baker was looking really wonderful.

We had an amazing seafood lunch - a prawn, spinach and artichoke bake for appy and then I had a really good clam chowder and crab cakes and KT had a fab looking halibut and fries.
I was very self restrained in the bookshops but I really had fun browsing. I found a lovely copy of "Love in a Cold Climate" by Nancy Mitford but I have got a lovely Folio Edition at home of Both LIACC and "The Pursuit of Love" so I let it go ..... for now. We spent an hour in one shop looking through boxes of old postcards and reading the correspondence - oooh, to know the stories behind some of those. I found a few "old friends" in the children's book department - a few really old Sunday School books - A Peep Behind the Scenes and Christie's Old Organ - both being from around the turn of the century and both also being real tearjerkers!! I love old books - I have quite a few from the early 1900's that were church/school prizes to various relations and I cherish them.I did succumb to a purchase in the Salt Spring Island Lavender Shop though .... Earl Grey Tea with ... Lavender. So, I will be certain to try that tomorrow.


Had a lovely time - we really felt as if we were on holiday :-) We made plans to go out again this summer as I have a voucher for a free boat ride. So more of Sidney later in the summer!

3 comments:
Oh how I wish I'd been there with you two. I'm craving a day out, to walk along the sea front, hearing the gulls, ok I live by the sea and hear the gulls every day, but its different.
I'm glad you had a lovely day xx
Sounds like a perfect day! Glad you had a nice time.
Love, Tina :)
Oh, those mountains off in the distance!! Beautiful sky and scenery. I live by the sea, but not with mountains.
I like looking through old postcards in shops, myself. In particular, I like how they would often be addressed simply to someone's name--no street number or even street name, and certainly no postal code in those days.
Post a Comment