Sunday, 22 June 2008

It's a ......



It's 1.50pm here in BC. My step daughter left about half an hour ago. It's hard to believe that she is 17 next week. I've known her since she was 9 and what a lovely young woman she has become! She came over yesterday with a lovely bouquet of flowers for me.
I made a rather spiffy joint of beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Potatoes, Asparagus, Cauliflower and Broccoli - I admit that I had a teeny weeny bit of Yorkshire Pudding, I couldn't resist. I have been making this really easy but yummy Apple Crisp recently - 4 cups of apples, chopped and squirted with lemon juice and covered in a mixture of 1/3 cup of all purpose flour, 1 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup melted butter - cooked on 375 for 30 mins. Again, I can't eat this but I have to have a teeny tiny tasty bit and it is good!!


T just left to go and get stoned with his brother so I doubt if I will see him for a few hours. I am stopping in for a bit to see "Who Do You Think You Are?" The opera singer Measha Brueggergosman is on it - I have seen a trailer and it looks as if she has slaves in her family tree as it shows her being told that a relation has been "born free". It's going to be an emotional episode. I can't even begin to imagine how heartbreaking it must be to know that your ancestors were slaves and belonged to someone! I know that many of my ancestors were poor, my great great grandmother died in a workhouse, but at least they were "free" people. It's hard to conceive how someone thinks they have the right to own another human being and to sell them off to someone else at anytime. The way that families were sold off separately back then was just barbaric.

I have won tickets to a concert tonight - Ryandan. Twin brothers from Toronto who sing a mixture of opera, classical and pop. I saw them on a UK show last summer and they came across as really nice guys and their voices were beautiful. I think I have to go on my own but that doesn't matter. The theatre is within walking distance. I will report back.

I started reading "Melymbrosia" by Virginia Woolf last night. So far so good. I need to read more Woolf. So many books, so little time! I also love the sound of Gal Friday's current read "The Dower House" so will have to have a root around for that!


Well, I guess that's about it. I've just got time to make a cuppa before the show starts. I hope everyone had a lovely weekend.

My friend gets her MRI result on Tuesday to see if her cancer has spread - so please spare her a prayer/thought.

3 comments:

cessie said...

How time flies isn't it! When I watch the girls of I.'s sister (the oldest is his godchild) I get the same feelings. I have seen them as babies and now they are 15 and 12. It's amazing!
How sweet of her to bring you flowers!! The food sounds awesome!

How fun you won theatre tickets!! Hope you had a great night out!! Most of the time I'm going on my own, must say it makes it all the more impressive!

Nervewraking that your friend will have her MRI result tomorrow! Take care!!

Gal Friday said...

I wish someone would make ME a big traditional Sunday dinner, like you do!!! (certain people don't appreciate that at all, appparently)

If you like..I could send "The Dower House" on to you. I am not liking it as much as I thought I would, however. I'll let you know when I am done with it.

I hope the concert was a good one...

Princess and the Bear said...

My Godchildren were born last week and someone has substituted those gorgeous babies for 10 and 9 year olds! I dont know how it happens!

Thinking Of Liz today, keeping everything crossed xxxx