
I have adored musical theatre since I first went to see "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" when I was 9. I had a bit of pocket money saved up so that weekend I bought the LP record and within just a few days I knew the whole score. It was the beginning of a lifelong love! When I moved up to London I was lucky enough to work mostly in the theatre world and got to see almost everything that opened in The West End for free. Sometimes I would go to the theatre three times a week. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen a show, I still get a huge buzz when the lights go down and the orchestra starts to play. I miss it. My favourite shows include Les Miserables, Mack and Mabel, The Sound of Music, Aspects of Love, RENT, Wicked, Carousel, Sunset Boulevard, Company, The Secret Garden and Miss Saigon.
The Tony Awards were on Sunday Night and I just caught them - there were amazing performances from the Original Cast of RENT and nominated shows such as In the Heights, The Little Mermaid, South Pacific and ...Xanadu!!
Also, Canada has just started their own version of "How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?" - which originated in the UK a few years ago when Lloyd Webber put out a search for a girl to play Maria Von Trapp in his new production of ..The Sound of Music. I was home at the time and Mum and I watched it religiously every Saturday night and we decided on Connie Fisher at the end of the first show and she won. We all went to see her in it and she was delicious! So fresh and unspoilt and ... quirky! So, I really hope that the Canadian show is as compulsive viewing. One of the girls has made an impression on me already as she reminds me of Connie - so at this point I will say Janna for Maria :-)

1 comment:
I love musicals too and thanks to Joop van den Ende the Netherlands is really big in musicals these days. Will go to Les Mis next week ;-)
Very much looking forward to it!
Xmarcelle
Post a Comment