Wednesday, 11 June 2008

From Pig to Twig



While I was back in the UK at Christmas I picked up a new diet book - Neris and India's Idiot Proof Diet. It was written by two Brit females who pushing 40 and around 5 stone overweight and decided to do something about it. They read through all the different diets and concocted their own version of a low carb way of eating. They kept a journal of their year's journey in dietland and ... between them they lost ten stone or 140lbs. India is a author/journalist and Neris is a (Welsh - yay) film producer. Their book is written in such a wonderful style that it just struck a chord with me.

"We’re not expecting you to survive on salad. Our way of eating is not going to interfere with your life, either. It just quietly goes on in the background while you get on with the other stuff, such as selling your too-big clothes on eBay once a month. In terms of easiness, the thing we found vitally important about our diet was to understand that in order for it to work, the transformation — the moment when it all clicks into place — needs to happen before you start out, not after. That means right now. There will, obviously, be a dramatic physical transformation at the end of your diet, but we have discovered that for any diet to succeed, an emotional transformation is not only necessary but crucial. "

I was a major comfort eater - if I had a bad day with "you know who" then I would need chocolate/crisps to make me feel better. I am the only person in my family who is overweight and for as long as I can remember my new year resolution has been to lose weight. So, as 40 is just around the corner and as I still hope to be a mum, I knew I had to get cracking.

I started the "way of eating" on February 1st and have lost two stone. I have another twelve pounds to lose before I am at my goal weight but already I am having to give clothes away that are just too big and nasty on me. I feel so much healthier and my skin is younger looking and I know that my inside bits are rejoicing at the weight loss. I really see a decrease in my cellulite (yay) and although I am not ready to greet the world in a bikini, I plan to buy a pair of shorts this week. It has done wonders for my self esteem too. I feel like I have really conquered the last of my bad habits.

I really recommend this diet to anyone - there are a few women on the online forum who have lost in excess of 100 lbs!! The first chapters of the book conquer the "head stuff" of why we comfort eat and how we convince ourselves that we aren't that big really. One piece tells of Neris having a crap day and caving in and ordering a pizza and then stopping and asking herself why shoving this food down her throat would make her feel better - we've all been there!! Both Neris and India are active on the forum and ready to give advice on any aspects.

I am gobsmacked at how my eating habits have changed - basically I don't eat bread, pasta, flour based items, rice, noodles, potatoes, apples (really carby), crisps and drink soya milk. I eat tons of veggies, meat, fish, cheese, eggs and now I can eat berries again :-) I have dark chocolate once or twice a week and am able to eat a few squares and put the rest of the bar away until the next day :-O I can have a few glasses of wine a week - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I drink lots of water and various teas. I find that my urge for coffee has really diminished. Oooh and I eat nuts - which I never thought I liked!! I discovered macadamias a few weeks ago!! Oh my!! I also love cashews.

So, if you want/need to lose weight then please pick up a copy of the book. It worked for me and it just might work for you. :-)

4 comments:

cessie said...

the book sounds great indeed.
And I'm proud of you, I know what comfort food means and it needs a lot of discipline to work on that and you already did a great job.
You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! Yay! You've really inspired me to change my eating habits a bit more. I wish you much luck---you are doing superb and you will reach your goal!! Don't forget to post your new shorts when ya get them!!! Very proud of you my dear friend. Keep it up!! Rooting for you, miss Twig :).

Gal Friday said...

Your writing was very inspiring here today.
Glad the diet is one that has worked--it sounds like a VERY sane and healthy one and you(and your shrinking tummy photo) is proof that it works. (I have cut down on sugary foods, myself, since Jan., but think it would be hard to cut down on flour/bread foods)
It always feels SO good to eat healthy foods.
BTW, I LOVE nuts(all kinds, and nut butters)--I was just saying to my husband last night that I would be very sad if ever I developed one of those nut allergies and could not eat them !! :-)
Just remember...most "Twigs" don't look all that good in a bikini, actually(I believe a little padding is sexier..)

Princess and the Bear said...

Well said those girls :)
I'm proud of you QC, you are the incredible shrinking woman!

I'm like Tee, I would find it so hard to eat more meat and no pasta or potatoes, but as you said to me, maybe i'm not quite at the right point in my life for doing it.
You are an inspiration tho baby xxxx