So, Brideshead Revisited is probably my all time favourite book. I read it every year and it never fails to fill me with wonder and delight. The television adaptation in 1981 was, in my humble opinion, the best television work ever ever ever.It's just perfection. Who can forget Jeremy Irons' narration in that velvety treacly voice? The first episode where he returns to Brideshead with the army just brings me to tears every single time - okay, I admit I have tears in my eyes now writing about it. Anthony Andrews is Sebastian Flyte. Diana Quick, John Gielgud, Phoebe Nicholls and the incredible Larry Olivier are all just perfect. The music by Geoffrey Burgon was sublime. I'm running out of adjectives!! :-)
This is one of my favourite scenes.
It's magical!!
The book is incredibly layered and the series covered it in 11 episodes in a total of 659 minutes. So why why why have they made a 100 minute movie?? I recently saw the trailer and although I admit that I will probably go to see it the very day it opens, July 25th, I am not expecting much. But I got to thinking how wonderful it would be for the original to be shown on the big screen. So if I win the lottery that is what I will do when I open my artsy fartsy old style cinema :-)
Here is the trailer for those of you who are interested.
But I will stick with this one ...
Monday, 9 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hmm...you don't even know the book, even have not heard about it before!
For the television series I was probably too young to be interested, but I have not heard about it either.
Ah well, a day is no good when we have not learned something new isnt it!
I hadn't heard there was a new movie version of this book due out, until I read it here.
I never read the book. It seems I have missed out--*sigh*--another one to add to the "to-read-in-my-lifetime" list!!(or I can just rent the 80's television version and watch THAT..and see a young Jeremy Irons..)
Post a Comment