Saturday, 26 July 2008

The Bear Hunt was a Success!!

I'm home after a lovely scenic lazy week in the forest, in the mountains and by the lake. It really was a lovely trip with very little stress. We got in late afternoon yesterday totally shattered and couldn't really do much except bath and order take away and then sleep. So today I have a huge pile of laundry to do - but I wanted to download my pics and blog first :-) One has to get their priorities right!!




First things first - Yes, we saw a bear!! This guy was by the side of the road as we drove up into the mountains - it isn't zoomed in at all. The bear was right by my window and I could hear him breathe. I took a teeny bit of film which I will try to suss out how to add. This was on day two as we drove up to Tofino. I was a lot calmer this time - usually when I see bears I hyperventilate!! There is something so wonderful to see such a wonderful animal - I don't think I could ever get tired of it.






I'll give a brief outline of the week. On Day One we picked up the van and drove for around three hours to "Englishman Falls" or as I renamed it "Welsh Woman Falls", which is a Provincial Park with forest campsites. We walked down to the falls, which are quite spectacular and watched the sunset. We had a nice raspberry ale - which is locally brewed here in Victoria and is THE best summer drink, and we got the barbie out and had a burger and salad. My first barbequed burger in a few years - and it was good! Yes, my diet went almost to pot while I was away BUT I weighed as soon as I got home and I haven't put on anything - infact I have lost half a pound!! We lit a campfire and just relaxed under the stars listening to the bats.




The next day we started our journey into the mountains at midday. It's an amazingly gorgeous drive which I did once before in 2001. We saw our little furry friend about halfway through the journey so I was on even more of a high :-) There were still snowcapped mountains as we got high up - another of my favourite things!





We arrived at the campsite mid afernoon and headed straight for Wickaninnish Beach. It was a cloudy afternoon - not beach weather at all - unless you were a surfer, they seemed to be out in droves. We walked along the beach and watched the guys and gals riding the waves.

We got back to the camp and had a lovely bottle of wine with dinner.


This campsite was a lot more upmarket and ... we had a hot tub and a sauna onsite - needless to say we were there as soon as it got dark. Sitting in a steamy hot tub surrounded by mountains and a starry sky is wonderful. I went to bed a happy girl.

The next morning I made a fritatta for brekfast


and then we went on our biggest hike of the trip. It wasn't a big one, just 10k or so but it was wonderful. We went into the Pacific Rim Park and hiked into Half Moon Bay which was gorgeous. It was a lovely sunny day and when we got onto the beach it was as if some child had gone wild with a blue crayon and colured in the sky and the sea. We just lazed around for a bit and watched the eagles fly.



I had a few blisters after the hike so it was back to the hot tub for half an hour. Then another campfire and an early night.


The next day we left quite early for our logging roads trek. The roads are made for forestry workers and are gravel. They are bad enough in a car but in an old humpy bumpy RV .... I can honestly say that it was awful. Talk about SHAKE RATTLE AND ROLL!! However, it was worth it as eventually we arrived at Kissinger Lake. We had the best spot!



I basically spent 3 days reading, having a few glasses of wine/raspberry ale and paddling in the lake. I had a go at fishing but didn't have any luck. I saw a chipmunk, more bats, a snake, a few lizards and ... my first humming birds! I have a teeny bit of film which I will add. They really are the most beautiful little creatures and I can't wait to see them again!






Ahhh well, I should go and start the laundry pile now. I hope you are all having a nice summer or winter wherever you are. xxxxx

6 comments:

Only Me said...

Finally!! You are back and I've been so missing your posts. I smiled the entire time reading your posts and feasting on your photos. So wonderful that you had such a relaxing and most deserved time away. I hope you have that second wind to keep going. Just a lovely posts and has made my day a bit brighter! Again, glad you are back...your absent has been felt. I would sigh each time I checked your blog, a sigh of missing your words.... love you! Many prayers to you!

Princess and the Bear said...

What amazing photos!!!! Next time, me and you will be sitting side by side in companiable silence on the dock of the lake, with our books.

As Evie said, you certainly have been missed sis :)

Hope Daffy behaved herself ;)
Love you xxxx

Claus said...

What a bear experience!!! and what a wonderful trip!! Good to have you back though, and I'm really happy that you enjoyed your time away. Thanks for sharing!!!

cessie said...

Lovely photos...and you were sooo close to that bear! Wow. The photo at the lake definitely is my fave, that's really Canada to me :-). So wonderful!
X

Gal Friday said...

Wonderful photos(especially the one of you alone on the dock) and you are looking so thin and sleek. :-)

How did your hamster like the adventure??

Gal Friday said...

I forgot to say...I watched hummingbirds on my holiday, too!! In New Hampshire, in front of the little trailer we stayed in, there was a clump of red "bee balm" which attracted a hummingbird.
I would sit there every evening around suppertime to see the tiny, buzzing little bird show up for his evening nectar. They are so amazing--like a big insect, if you don't realise it's a bird!