
Had a bad few days with "you know who" so I almost cancelled my plans with KT to go to see Mamma Mia last night. Wow!! All I can say is, if you haven't seen it yet - GO GO GO!! The best "feel good" movie in ages. I knew I would like it but I had no idea that I would love it :-)
I was working in the West End of London when it first came to stage and was at a final dress rehearsal where Benny and Bjorn were in the aisle! I saw it four or five times altogether and loved it every single time. I have always loved Abba and the show is such a massive funfest! I admit that even though I love Meryl Streep and Colin Firth .. I didn't think that the movie would touch me as much as the stage show but... it did!
Meryl Streep, as Donna, was simply awesome - that's a word I rarely use but it's the only one that comes close to the standard of her performance! She is so perfect! KT and I kept on nudging each other and saying how gorgeous she looked. Hmm, I wonder if this could be Oscar worthy??? Pierce Brosnan isn't a favourite of mine but he is wonderful. Colin Firth is as adorable as ever and Julie Walters and Christine Baranski are hilarious.
Meryl, Julie and Christine reviving their old group "Donna and the Dynamos" are simply glorious - their Dancing Queen is magical. Meryl Streep's voice is perfect for the part - what she lacks in vocal ability she more than makes up for with her emotion. Her rendition of "The Winner Takes it All" - eeek, I can't believe I am going to say this but ... it really is as good, in my most humble of opinions, as Agnetha's!

The young lovers, Sophie and Skye, are well cast. Amanda Seyfried, Sophie, is beautiful - so fresh and wholesome - and has a gorgeous voice. The supporting cast are all incredible. The scenery just makes me want to get on the next plane to Greece - I know this will be increased by "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants" which I hope to catch later in the week.
The closing credits are the best ever - make sure you stay around for them!! Gosh, it must have been the best fun to make this movie!
So, if you are feeling glum then I urge you to go and see this movie - your toes will be tapping in no time at all, you will be singing along to Dancing Queen and life won't seem so bad!

7 comments:
I saw it opening night as you know, but it was even more fun the second time with you! Can't remember any movie where I've had a smile on my face nearly the whole time (except for crying during "The Winner Takes it All" of course...) Meryl Streep is beyond words... just perfection.
Wanna go again?? I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do! ;-)
It's a fantastic movie, I agree. I enjoyed it so much when I saw it a week ago or so. Meryl Streep is just so wonderful in it, and like KT, I kept smiling through the movie... Take care - Giz in Germany
I was commenting to doodlebug that it hasn't come here yet!!! :-( and quite frankly, I don't think it will :-(
I really want to see it, and the more I read friends' reviews, the more I do! but I have the feeling I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Oh well...
I was hoping to go and see it this week, maybe I'll make a special effort to go now :)
It sounds wonderful :)
"Massive funfest"!! You said it, sister!! :-)
I have seen it(the movie--have never seen the original stage version....yet) twice now. With Rachel and my bookclub gal pals the first time, and with Rachel and my mother the second time. And wouldn't mind a third time.
If the stage show ever comes around again, I'll surely want to try to see that, too. (I have the movie soundtrack being shipped to me from Amazon, and have been playing my ABBA Gold CD quite a bit, too. My daughter used to scoff at me and roll my eyes when i played my ABBA tunes in the car stereo or at home, but now...she is a converted fan of the music)
And, I am renewed in my awe of Meryl Streep, especially, after having seen this--she can do anything, it seems!
As you know, I too, loved this film! I had never seen the stage show and I am in love with this film and would watch it over and over again if Todd would take me! I can't wait for it to come out in DVD so I can have it at home and watch it to my heart's content! My grin never dissappeard the whole way through. I Loved all the characters and throught them perfect. I especially loved Julie Walters! She stole the show I think!
Still need to go and see it ;-)
As always so many things to do and so little time.
But it's still on here and after all there's always the dvd lol.
I have seen the musical and am very curious to the movie as well!
Post a Comment