
That I would be glued to the Olympics!!! I was up until almost 1am last night watching the swimming, diving and gymnastics. I'm even watching Beach Volleyball!!! I knew that I enjoyed female gymnastics but previously I have never really watched any other Olympic sports. At the moment I am watching the male gymnasts on the rings - incredible!!
I have been in awe of some of the teeny weeny little Chinese girls and their gymnastic ability! I am the world's most UNgymnast type person so am blown away of how these young girls can make their bodies do such amazing things!
However, I must admit that my favourite gymnasts were those from the 70's and early 80's - especially Nadia Comaneci and Natalia Shaposhnikova. I have really vivid memories of watching the 1980 Olympics from Moscow and just loving Shaposhnikova - isn't that a fab surname, it just rolls off the tongue! Anyhow I found this clip on youtube. Does anyone else remember her?
Also, there is a piece in the Daily Mail today about Nadia Comaneci which I found really interesting - especially since she became a first time mum at 44 :-) It's a fab article! She was such a cute little thing!
However, I must admit that my favourite gymnasts were those from the 70's and early 80's - especially Nadia Comaneci and Natalia Shaposhnikova. I have really vivid memories of watching the 1980 Olympics from Moscow and just loving Shaposhnikova - isn't that a fab surname, it just rolls off the tongue! Anyhow I found this clip on youtube. Does anyone else remember her?
Also, there is a piece in the Daily Mail today about Nadia Comaneci which I found really interesting - especially since she became a first time mum at 44 :-) It's a fab article! She was such a cute little thing!
I couldn't end an Olympic themed post without including a picture of little Yang Peiyi, aged 7, who failed the cuteness test to appear in the opening ceremony but was judged the best singer to perform "Ode to the Motherland" - another "cute" girl lip synced to Yang's voice. That really irked me - what kind of message does that give youngsters?? Come on, all 7 year old little girls are beautiful - especially when they have the voice of an angel!! So, little Yang - Congratulations - the world thought you were great!!


2 comments:
What a shame that that talented little girl was not allowed to sing in person because she was not deemed "Cute" enough! there is far too much of that going on in today's society. Whatever happened to liking people and admiring them for their abilities instead of their looks. Our televisions and magazines are full of the images of vacant and empty beautiful people, some without not a lot of talent, other than looking pretty . . . while other, more talented people are overlooked simply because they are plain or overweight or don't fit the "image" of what society deems as being worthy of notice!
Awwww little Yang is gorgeous! i think thats awful that shes not been deemed 'cute enough'! shocking!
I didnt even watch the opening ceremony this year *sigh*
Post a Comment