Wednesday, 6 August 2008

What an Amazing Blog!

I've been "surfing" tonight from the comfort of my sofa. I have come across some really interesting blogs but there is one that stands out a mile. I wish I had come across it before as the dear lady has now passed away but I plan to read through the archives in the next few days and also try to get a copy of the documentary.

The blog is The Life of Riley - click on the post title to reach it - and tells the story of Olive Riley who passed away last month at 108! Yes, 108! Funnily enough I found out that it has recently come to light that she wasn't the oldest blogger - that honour is held by a 109 year old American women who passed away in January. Olive was born in Australia in 1899 when Queen Victoria was still on the throne and Australia was not yet a federation. I could go on and tell you what I have learnt about her tonight but I am sure you would prefer to read it on the website where there are lots of lovely photos. Gosh, how inspirational!! Her story involves two marriages, having all her teeth out in the 1930's in her lunch hour, working on a cattle ranch and lots more!

RIP Olive Riley!

I have to include this clip of her singing "Pack up your Troubles" - get those tissues ready folks!!

5 comments:

Only Me said...

I am in awe of this site, Quirky Celt!! Thank you so much for finding this and sharing!!! I love to read the life and times of older people. So much to learn from them and such wisdom!! I am addicted to the site!! Truly is an amazing blog!! Thank you again for sharing! :) Affectionaly, Evie

Gal Friday said...

I just adored seeing/hearing olive singing her song!! When I have a little more time, I will investigate Olive's blog!! :-) Thanks for the link.

I hope I am like an Olive when I get(IF) to be that age.
Some of my favorite customers in the shop are elderly people--they tell me the most amazing stories and it makes you remember they were once wild young things once, too.

Marie Rayner said...

What a fascinating read. I'll have to pop over to it again when I have more time to read. In the meantime, thanks so much for recommending it to us and for the lovely film clip of Olive! What a lady!!

Princess and the Bear said...

What a wonderful blog! So wonderfully written, I just read the story of how Mike chose the 'IPod from your time' at the antiques fair :)

Fabulous!

cessie said...

I agree totally with you. I discovered her as it was in the news that she died. Amazing that people her age are blogging as well... although I think my grandma would have liked to learn it as she would still have her head in the present (she has alzheimers).
I so hope we all are still blogging when we get older...
X