Tuesday, 5 August 2008

It's Too Darn Hot!


Gosh, it's hot! It reached 27 degrees this afternoon and it's going to be 30 tomorrow - and they are predicting early 30's for next week. Wahhhhhh!! The apartment was sweltering today so I really need to see if the fan we have down in the storage room is working otherwise I might just melt like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Well it's been an okay few days. On Saturday I went to see "Brideshead Revisited" which has just opened here. As I have said before, I adore the 1981 series and knew that there was no way that a 2 hour movie could tell the whole story. However I decided to give it a go. Blah! The acting was so-so - not even Emma Thompson took my breath away, the costumes were boring, the music was mediocre and Aloysius the teddy bear was totally miscast!! I found the script very jumpy and frankly ... on the QC movie scale it only got a 5.5. For those of you who know me and how easily I cry at beautiful movies, books, music etc - I didn't have a slightest hint of a tear at any time in the movie!

On Sunday I went to Symphony Splash - an open air classical music concert which takes place each August here. It's a huge event with over 50,000 people on average attending. KT and I went for a glass of wine first at our usual place and then made our way down through the crowds. It always ends with the 1812 and fireworks which look really impressive over the harbour!

Monday was the 150th birthday of British Columbia and another huge outdoor concert took place in front of the Legislative with Canadian artists such as Feist, Sarah McLachlan, Colin James and Burton Cummings. I went down on my own with my book and deckchair and sat there for 7 hours!!! I shouldn't have gone really as it made me really depressed as I was surrounded by happy families - I didn't see anyone else alone there. There were a family spread out on a rug by the side of me with two adorable little girls who were obviously adopted as they were First Nation and the parents weren't - and the parents were probably in their early fifties so although I got pangs of "wahhhhh", it did give me a little bit of hope that somewhere in my future I could maybe have a real husband and a child or two :-) I made it halfway through Feist, who was the closing act, but at this time all the drunk kids and weed smokers were coming out and completely destroying it for me with their awful language - the girls were much worse than the boys! So I left and, as I live less than 5 mins walk away, I was in bed within 15 minutes. :-)

I'm going to try to do a week of intense dieting this week as although I haven't put any weight on, I have had far too many treats recently. I was wondering last night if maybe my metabolism has changed after being so good for the last few months as I really should have put on a pound or two.

I had a lovely present in the post today from my sister which I will blog about more on my book blog - Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer by Jane Brocket. It's hot off the press and I've been waiting for it eagerly for over a year. It's by the amazingly creative blogger from Yarnstorm which I read regularly. Basically it's a culinary trip through classic children's literature - I can now make Paddington Bear's Marmalade Buns,Dickon's Roasted Eggs (The Secret Garden), Amy's Pickled Limes (Little Women),Pippi's Swedish Pancakes, Ma's Pancake Men (Little House) and ... Marilla's Zero Alcohol Raspberry Cordial, to name just a few! The book is packed with lovely original illustrations and lots of book memories - Ooh I 've just noticed that they have a Chalet School Apple Cake too. So I am going to start reading it right now - with a box of tissues by the side of me as I know I will bawl!

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

haha, I got the same book the other day as an early Birthday Pressie! I Just LOVE LOVE it!! It's wonderful!