Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!


Another catch up post! I've had computer problems again - somehow I got two viruses. I've had to do a lot of work on it but it is almost back to normal now - except for sticky J, K, N and M's!


I have just been having a nice cup of English Breakfast tea and watching The Waltons - the episode where Ike and Cora Beth get married. Ahhhhhh, I adore The Waltons. I think it has to be my favourite show ever. Earl Hamner's narratives used to make me feel all warm and tingly even as a small child. They are like a melody. The scripts, acting and scenery were just impeccable, in my opinion. It was being repeated in the UK in the 90's and one Sunday afternoon my pal Stephen and I were sitting outside a cafe in Belsize Park, North London and talking in earnest about that morning's episode and a certain Judi Dench was sitting at the next table and obviously giggling at us. How dare she ???? :-) A few years later Stephen interviewed Richard "John Boy" Thomas and I went along as his PA. RT was over in London doing a play called "Art" with Patrick Duffy. I met tons of celebs in my time in theatreland but this was the only time I was really starstruck. Bobby Ewing and John Boy at the same time!!! A few days later we went to the aftershow party and they both came up to say hi to us - just as the party was drawing to a close RT came up behind me and said goodbye - I had a glass in my hand and I was so taken aback that I jumped and a half glass of white wine went all over Stephen!!! RT offered Stephen his hanky to dry off - the perfect gentleman.


I've been really suffering with the cold the last few weeks, I invested in thermal underwear but still had tremendous aches and pains. I went to the doctor today and he told me that I have osteoarthritis which is a bit of a shock. I have had pains in my hands off and on for a number of months but my arms, back and neck have only started up in the last couple of weeks. I need to go for some tests to make sure I haven't got anything else - I hadn't actually heard of any of the things he wants to rule out. I'm in a lot of pain at the moment - especially my hands - and find it so hard to get warm. There is no cure - just painkillers, exercise and glucosamine. I need to try and drop a bit more weight too.


The other big thing is that I will have to come back to Canada in 2009 after all, if I want my immigration to be finalised, which I do. I need to go for another medical next week - and now I am worrying that this arthritis will go against me. I've spent so much money on this flipping process - it seems a waste not to go all the way. However, it has put a lot of mental strain on me as I am still no closer to stability. It always seems just around the corner. I've been really down in the dumps and not really doing anything except working, reading and sleeping - I've been doing lots of sleeping!! So, at the moment I am hoping by the spring......


I was talking to CC this morning and we decided we needed something to look forward to ....... for a few years we have talked of going "up North" so we are making plans to go to Haworth, the home of the Brontes, in January - we also plan to get in a visit to Castle Howard. We made this plan before my doc's visit so I think that's why I am not too upset yet. I'm going to see the parsonage at long last - we're going to walk on the moors which I am sure will be wuthering in January!! Anyone want to join us??? I know Kate and Josie would - come on over!!!! I am so excited - CC found a charming guesthouse for £55 a night just two mins walk from The Parsonage!!!


Well, I am off for a bath to warm up before theatre.


xxxxxxxxxxx

6 comments:

thehobbit_uk said...

Quirky

I'm sure you and CC will love Haworth. I was there years ago and went for a trek across the moor and went on a tour of the Parsonage. It was quite a blowy summer's day so not exactly 'wuthering' but you could certainly imagine it being extremely wuthering on certain days. The same day (or possibly same holiday) we also went on the Worth Valley Railway where they filmed the original film The Railway Children, Oakworth station in particular. I can recommend that as a good trip too. The Bronte Parsonage was used as the surgery in The Railway Children.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your bad medical news Julia. Don't despair though, the only way to live with arthritis is to try and keep a positive attitude about it and work your way around it, don't let it stop you from doing what you like. I've had it for 18 years now and my condition has gotten better over time, although my type of A is not the most serious. If you need info and treatment options, you can always refer to www.arthritis.ca for advice and support. Stay strong for that moor walk, wish I could go with :)

Anonymous said...

My poor, poor Hon, with her aches and pains! I wish I could be there looking after you... and going to Haworth with you! I'm sending you a lovely big polar bear hug. Hon, you are much too young and lovely for arthritis. Of course I know young and lovely people get arthritis - a dear 14 year old friend of mine has it terribly - but it does seem horribly unfair.

Fancy Judy Dench laughing at you like that! I hope you fixed her, Paddington Bear style, with a hard stare?

Princess and the Bear said...

Yay for us going To Haworth :) Cant wait! I definately need something to look forward to after the crappy time we've both had lately.
As K said, I think its going to be pretty darn 'Wuthering' when we get there!!!!
Love you xxx

Marie Rayner said...

I love the Waltons. It's our favourite telly show. We have bought all of the series put out so far on DVD and we often watch one. It always leaves us feeling warm and cozy and a bit nostalgic for the past.

Sorry to hear that you have arthritis. You have my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Quirky girl, I enjoyed this post about the Waltons!! Oh, so many memories from childhood I have from watching this show. I wish I could sit and watch all of the episodes and just remember the things I thought of as a child. A wonderful and wholesome television show that was. I can remember getting off the bus after school in the afternoon and anticipating seeing my "special" show as I called it. :)