Friday, 9 January 2009

These Are Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Nights!!


There we go Sammy - a Kiss reference for you!!! Gosh I am having such a laid back time here! I read, write, eat, drink, bath and catch up with old friends. I am doing a number of jobs for Mum and Dad too - I am not being a total sloth but it seems strange to have so much spare time!


We have a squirrel in the attic - not a rat/mouse/bird but a squirrel! Alas it has made it's home above my bedroom and makes the nastiest noises throughout the night. I was worried it was something more sinister but the guy from the council who came up yesterday said that he thought it was a squirrel last time so it could be the same noisy furry friend. So today I took Dad for a much needed haircut and then walked to the local DIY store and .. I carried a bag of cement home. Yes, it was heavy and yes I was stupid to do it but it didn't look tooooo bad in the store and it seemed a waste to get a cab for a 5 min trip. Not to mention that the guy in the store told me that I couldn't possibly walk home with a bag of that weight - so I had to prove him wrong!! So now I will get a ladder tomorrow and fill in all the cracks in the ridge of the house and a few drains that need attention. Alas it can be dangerous to have rodents in the attic because they can nibble through wiring - infact I think they might have already.


I met up with an old friend yesterday - we haven't seen each other in over 21 years! We met aged 14ish at a church youth camp - she was from the Cardiff branch of my church and I was from the Swansea. Before the days of emails, we used to write regular letters and could still remember each other's addresses! We had a lovely seafood lunch in a brasserie - it was divine. I had calamari, which was done to perfection, and then plaice .. and a glass of white rioja. We talked nonstop and vowed to meet up again before I go back. The hilarious thing is that she married a youth leader that I had a crush on at age 15 -and one day he had asked me to get an eyelash out of his eye - my friends, I kept that eyelash and stuck it in the back of my old Bible. I forgot about it for years but remembered about it a few years ago - and it is still there. So we had a good laugh about that - and I met her hubby at the end of lunch yesterday and asked him if he wanted it back!!!


I went to buy groceries for Mum today and there is a clothes shop next door - Matalan for you Brits - I bought a lovely jersey dress in there, purple and blue print, for ...£4! It was UK size 10 - this time last year I was size 16 :-) I am so so happy!! I bought a skirt too but it's too big, size 12!!!


Next week I am off on an adventure with Cottage Crafts - I can't wait. We were going to go to Yorkshire and visit the Bronte parsonage and Castle Howard .. but they are both closed until March! We are heading to Buxton instead - we will go past Chatsworth, the ex home of the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire Debo nee Mitford, but that is also closed until March!! Grrrrr!! But we are going to have an amazing time together me and my adopted sister :-) We will both report back with lots of photos!



3 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful visit with your parents. I bet you have the sweetest accent. I love the Welsh accent. I have been to visit a friend of mine in Wales a few times and love it. She lives in Barry. I bet your parents are enjoying having you home and that the time is passing far too quickly. Congrats on the weight loss! I bet it feels really good!!

cessie said...

Hi honey...good to read you are enjoying yourself so much at this side of our planet ;-)
A squirrel in the attic... wow!
I was smiling when reading about you meeting up with your friend. How funny you did have a crush on her husband in your teenager years! And the food sounds sooo good :-)
Hope your trip with CC was a great one!!
X

vdesheva said...

The eyelash story was so sweet!!!:) Thanks for sharing!!!:)